What Pests Are In My Garage?
Did you know that garage pest infestations are very common here in the North Bay and East Bay Area? Like it or not, our garages oftentimes are the perfect shelter for all types of pests throughout the entire year. This is due to the fact that many items stored in our garages go unattended for months at a time. Water and food are also easily accessible to rodents, silverfish, spiders, and more. To avoid the discovery of a pest infestation next time you rifle through your boxes, it’s important to learn how to pest-proof your garage. The experts at Western Exterminator, formerly Hitmen are here to share their expert knowledge on garage pests—keep reading to learn more.
Common Garage Pests in California
More than a few pests will likely find your garage to be a haven. Some of the most common ones we experience here in the Bay Area include:
- Rodents. Particularly in the winter, rodents will seek shelter in garages. They can easily build nests in storage boxes and wall voids or even sneak into your car.
- Spiders. Arachnids are known to spin webs in boxes and in rarely-accessed corners. You can be sure to come across spiders when pulling out holiday decorations from your garage every year.
- Silverfish. These tiny insects are especially fond of garages and cardboard boxes. Once they are in your garage, they can feed on a number of items: paper, glue, clothing, flour, and more. While mostly harmless, silverfish are nonetheless a nuisance.
- Flies. Especially in the hot summer months, flies can be a major nuisance. House flies can be found resting on nearly any surface including on walls, floors, window sills, and other various objects found in the garage.
How Do I Keep Pests Out of My Garage?
No one wants to deal with pests infesting their stored goods in the garage. Luckily, preventing pests outside in the garage entails many of the same measures you’d take to prevent them inside! Our best tips include:
- Installing weather stripping and using silicone-based caulk to seal cracks and crevices.
- Promptly fixing moisture issues by repairing leaky pipes and using a dehumidifier.
- Storing all food, decorations, and other goods in plastic bins with tight-fitting lids instead of cardboard boxes.
- Keeping your garage clean and tidy by blowing it out once a month and sweeping when necessary.
- Storing all items up off of the ground when possible, and staying as organized as possible.
Garage Pest Infestation? We Can Help!
Dealing with pests anywhere around your property can be frustrating and even downright dangerous. If you are having trouble keeping pests out of your garage, the expert technicians at Western Exterminator, formerly Hitmen are here to help.