Tips to Keep Pests Out of Your Attic
Even with our mild climate, there are several pests that will look to overwinter in your home. But what does this mean? There are certain pests—including squirrels, bats, rats, mice, and raccoons—that will try to get inside your property during the winter. They often take up residence in your attic, wherein they can wreak havoc if left unchecked. To avoid overwintering pest infestations, it’s important to learn how to keep pests out of your attic in the first place. Wildlife exclusion and pest prevention must be done in the fall to avoid a winter pest infestation in the Bay Area.
Pests in the Attic
If you start to notice noises in your attic, there’s a good chance some pests have made their way indoors. Here are the typical culprits:
- House mice: These mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Roof rats: Just as their name suggests, roof rats can squeeze their way indoors and up to the attic in your home.
- Bats: Big brown bats will roost in an attic and use it as their cave. Their presence causes a lot of mess to clean up.
- Raccoons: Raccoons are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
- Squirrels: The attic is the perfect place for squirrels to burrow and hide out the colder months of the year.
5 Tips to Prevent Pests in the Attic
To avoid an overwintering pest problem, there are several things you can do. Here are our top tips:
- Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests.
- Install a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or roof openings.
- Secure your garbage cans with tight-fitting lids to keep pests out
- Organize all items and eliminate any clutter in your attic. Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes for storage
- Thoroughly inspect your attic inside and out, and seal any cracks or crevices with caulk.
Winter Pest Problems in the Bay Area
Pests in your attic can be dangerous and cause a mess. For this reason, it’s important to never attempt to get rid of overwintering pests on your own. The experts at The Hitmen Termite & Pest Control can help prevent these pests in your home–contact us today to learn more!