How Do You Prevent Termites from Spreading in the North and East Bay?
As soon as you discover the signs of active termites in your home, it’s crucial to call a professional pest control company that can begin to control them right away.
When you have termites, it’s essential to take action as soon as possible to keep them from spreading. The first step is always to contact a professional pest control company, who will thoroughly investigate your property and determine the severity of the infestation. While waiting for treatment, it’s important to implement some of the following preventative measures that may help contain the termites:
- Remove sources of excess moisture
- Fix leaky faucets and broken pipes
- Declutter your home
- Clean up debris in your yard
- Remove any piles of wood in or near the home
- Place infested items in the sunlight
How Termites Survive
The key to keeping active termites on your property from spreading further is by understanding what they need to thrive. After you’ve discovered termites in your home and called a professional, the next step is to take every possible step to remove possible termite attractants in or near your home. The three things most termites need to survive are:
- Wood/Cellulose: Termites feed on any material that contains cellulose, which is why wood is their primary source of food.
- Water: Termites seek out moist or humid areas. Any environment with excess water or humidity is ideal for them.
- Soil: Except for drywood termites, most types require contact with soil to survive.
Keeping a Termite Infestation Under Control
If you’ve already discovered termites in your home, it’s time to call a pest control company. Implementing preventative measures after you already have termites may help keep them from spreading, but it won’t reverse what damage has already been done. Quick, reliable treatment is your best bet at not only removing the current termite activity you have, but also preventing the possibility of future infestations. Effectively keeping termites from spreading starts with trustworthy services from a pest control company and continues through regular inspections and preventative treatments.