How Do I Keep Termites from Coming Back?
After effectively getting rid of a termite infestation, it’s crucial to prevent them from returning through a number of preventative measures as well as annual inspections by a professional pest control company.
To keep termites from coming back after an infestation, there are many preventative measures to ensure you are protected from another infestation, including eliminating excess moisture and other termite attractants in or near your home. The most important thing is to receive regular inspections by a professional pest control company, who can help you implement the best methods of termite prevention.
DIY Termite Prevention
While preventing termites is always a gamble, there are a lot of ways you can help ward off termites.
A few ways to lessen the risk of termite infestations include:
- Eliminate sources of standing water in or near the home as well as any moisture problems, such as a leaky faucet or broken water pipe.
- Ensure your yard has good drainage, avoid excess mulch, and clean out gutters regularly.
- Be cautious of areas in the home where wood is in contact with soil.
- Keep piles of lumber or firewood away from the foundation of your home, and eliminate any sources of decaying lumber.
- Regularly inspect your deck, patio, or outdoor furniture for signs of damage.
- Remove dead trees and branches from areas surrounding your yard.
The Importance of Professional Termite Control
No DIY effort to prevent termites from invading your home will guarantee you’ll remain termite-free. While you should definitely follow the above tips to help your chances of avoiding them, termites are notoriously tricky and can’t be prevented without professional help. That’s why it’s important to enlist the services of a pest control expert who, in addition to your prevention methods, can regularly inspect your property for signs of termites. Some signs of damage or activity can be hard to spot even to the trained eye, which is all the more reason to hire an expert.