Rodent Awareness Week 2020: Infestations Surge Due to COVID-19
It’s Rodent Awareness Week, and there’s no better time to discuss the plight of rodent infestations this year. A few months ago the CDC came out with information on aggressive rodents due to the pandemic. But why? When restaurants and bars in the Bay Area were put under restrictions or shut down, rodents suddenly found themselves without their normal source of food. This led to more residential rodent infestations. Now with the colder months upon us, rats and mice will be looking to get indoors not just for food, but for warmth as well. The Hitmen Termite & Pest Control knows how distressing a rodent infestation can be. We also know it’s the last thing you want to deal with this year. Keep reading to learn our tips for preventing one.
Do Rodents Spread Coronavirus?
Rats and mice have been linked to a number of dangerous diseases. Thankfully, COVID-19 is not one of them. That said, they are getting more aggressive in nature as they must compete for resources. The shelter in place shutdowns caused an uptick in residential rodent sightings as rats and mice became bolder in their hunt for resources. While they won’t transmit COVID-19 to you or your family, rodents still can spread other diseases including hantavirus, salmonellosis, and many more. They also can cause significant damage to your property.
How to Prevent a Rodent Problem During the Pandemic
With everything else going on this year, you definitely don’t have the time or energy to worry about rats in your home. Here’s how to keep them out:
- Use tight lids on trash cans. Rodents love to rummage in the garbage! If possible, keep your trash cans sealed and stored.
- Protect eaves. Fix any damaged roofing and use wire mesh to seal gaps in your eaves.
- Store food properly. Securely store food in tight-fitting containers with lids.
- Seal holes around pipes. Use caulk or wire wool to cover up gaps and openings near pipes and other openings.
- Cover vents. Install mesh screens on your vents. Also, consider installing screens on doors and windows.
Protect Your Bay Area Home From Rodents
Rats and mice aren’t just a nuisance—they can bring a flurry of problems into your home. At The Hitmen, we are committed to keeping our customers rodent-free all year long. To learn how our rodent exterminators can help, contact us today!