How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
To prevent mosquitoes in your yard, it’s important to pinpoint and eliminate the common breeding hotspots. These hotspots in your yard are often found wherever there is standing water. So, keeping mosquitoes away from your yard requires making your property less hospitable to them in the first place. Here’s how:
- Tip over buckets or anything containing standing water.
- Place covers over spas, pools, and birdbaths.
- Install screens on windows and doors.
- Turn on fans outside to create a windy environment.
- Invest in regular mosquito inspections from a professional.
Why Are There Mosquitoes in My Backyard?
In the spring and summertime, mosquitoes look for areas where they can breed. Regions with a more humid summertime are especially prone to this seasonal activity. Here in the North and East Bay, mosquitoes are common in the summer, especially in more heavily wooded areas. In general, mosquitoes will invade your backyard if they find suitable breeding grounds. This is why it’s crucial to eliminate the things that may draw mosquitoes toward your yard.
Have pest questions?
Our experts are standing by, call now.
Top Tips to Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
Keeping mosquitoes away requires knowing what attracts them in the first place. To keep these pests out of your yard in the summer, here’s what to do:
- Get rid of stagnant water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flowerpots, birdbaths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to lay their eggs.
- Consider getting fish for ponds and agitating the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. Alternatively, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Place screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Keep a tidy yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also, keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Install fans. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
- Inspect your yard regularly. Always look for potential mosquito breeding grounds and eliminate them. You may consider hiring your local mosquito control experts for assistance.
Professional Mosquito Prevention Services
When you’ve done all you can to keep mosquitoes away from your yard to no avail, it’s time to call your local mosquito exterminators. The experts at The Hitmen Termite & Pest Control will work with you to prevent mosquitoes in your yard with repellents, exclusion efforts, and more. Contact us today to get started!