Keep Pests Away This Holiday Season
The holiday season can be one of the most wonderful times of the year—and also the busiest. With summer far behind us at this point, many make the mistake of thinking pest problems are officially gone for a few months. The truth is that pest problems, especially here in the Bay Area, can linger on well throughout the winter. This is mostly the case with overwintering pests, which are pests and insects that enter homes in the fall to protect themselves from the colder weeks ahead.
Needless to say, no one wants to deal with an infestation this time of year. This makes it important to learn how to keep winter pests away—the experts at Western Exterminator, formerly Hitmen are here to help!
Winter Pest Problems in the North & East Bay Area
Pest problems in the winter can happen when pests get inside your home to escape the cold or when you unpack boxes of holiday decorations.
The most common pests we deal with in the winter in our region are:
- House mice: Many mice prefer secluded areas and will look to nest in your attic using insulation and other stored items for shelter.
- Roof rats: As their name implies, roof rats can squeeze their way inside and build nests in your attic this time of year.
- Spiders: A lot of spiders can take shelter in your holiday decoration boxes. When you unpack these each year, you could unleash these pests right into your home.
- Wildlife: Raccoons and squirrels are strong climbers and can make their way into your attic to escape dropping temperatures outside.
Pest Prevention Tips For the Holiday Season
The good news is that it’s easy to enjoy the holiday season pest-free. The top seven things you can do to prevent these pests are:
- Organize all items and eliminate any clutter in your attic or basement. Use plastic bins instead of cardboard boxes for storage, especially when it comes to holiday decorations.
- When unpacking these decorations each year, shake out the items outdoors before bringing anything inside.
- Inspect both inside out outside the attic, and seal any cracks or crevices with caulk or steel wool.
- Secure your chimney with a chimney cap, and install wire mesh over any vents or holes.
- Trim overhanging tree branches, overgrown bushes, and vines away from your home to limit roof access to pests.
- Ensure your garbage cans are securely stored in your hard with tight-fitting lids to keep pests out.
- Inspect all firewood that your store outdoors for signs of spiders and other pests before bringing any of it indoors.
Winter Pest Control Services
Pests and the holidays simply don’t mix. If you want to put prevention measures in place to keep pests away this winter, the experts at Western Exterminator, formerly Hitmen can help! Contact us today to get started.