Do Cockroaches Prefer the Summertime?
Here in Northern California, we are no strangers to cockroach problems. Roaches are a common household pest all year long. But when exactly is “cockroach season”? For the most part, cockroach populations explode in the summertime. Drawn to heat and moisture, roaches will breed at a rapid rate this time of year. Unfortunately, cockroach infestations are more dangerous than you may think. Because of how common their activity is this time of year, it’s important to learn what you can do to keep them out of your home or business. The experts at The Hitmen Termite & Pest Control are here to help you avoid a roach problem this summer and all year long.
What Are Cockroaches Attracted To?
Roaches can survive in a number of different environments and conditions. They are still active in the winter months, but their population numbers are smaller. When the weather warms up, roaches are more likely to be foraging for food and breeding. If they get inside your property, they will be drawn to areas with a lot of moisture: bathrooms, laundry areas, basements, kitchens, etc. In cases of extreme heat, cockroaches that otherwise stay outdoors will flood inside in search of food, water, and relief from the heat. Due to this behavior, we receive many calls about roaches this time of year.
How to Prevent a Summer Cockroach Problem
No one wants to deal with a roach problem in their home or business. Thankfully, there are several things you can do to help prevent the pests. Our top tips include:
- Thoroughly look around your home and seal any cracks or crevices that could invite roaches in. Also consider installing screens on windows and doors.
- On a regular basis, clean the kitchens and bathrooms in your property. Wipe up or clean spills and messes, and avoid letting clutter pile up.
- After feeding your pets, pick up pet bowls and avoid leaving food out overnight.
- Always keep all food securely sealed in airtight containers, and refrigerate unsealed food.
- Seal all garbage cans with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out when needed.
- If you have clogged rain gutters or faulty drains/pipes, fix them as quickly as possible to prevent excess moisture.
Cockroach Control Experts
Bottom line: a cockroach infestation is any property owner’s worst nightmare. Not only are they gross, roaches can spread germs, bacteria, and even trigger allergies in certain people. Due to this, it’s crucial to always enlist the help of a professional cockroach exterminator when you have an infestation. The team at The Hitmen is committed to keeping cockroaches out of your property in the summer and all year round.