Does Anything Keep Bed Bugs Away?
Bed bug infestations can be unpredictable, but it’s important to stay vigilant about preventing them after traveling and when buying used furniture.
To stay protected against bed bugs:
- Know the signs of bed bugs.
- Be cautious when traveling.
- Inspect used items before bring them indoors.
- Take extra precautions at home.
4 Ways to Prevent Bed Bugs
It can be difficult to prevent bed bugs in the same way you would prevent other pests. There are several things you can do to lessen the risk of getting a bed bug infestation:
- Know how to recognize the signs of a problem early on. Bed bugs will leave dark fecal spots on mattresses and furniture where they live. In addition, their bites often leave blood spots on bedding and red, itchy bite marks on you.
- Before bringing any used items into your property, thoroughly inspect them for signs of bed bugs.
- Protect your power outlets with a plug and cover your mattress with a protector. Doing so eliminates two of their top hiding spots.
- When traveling, inspect your hotel room and be cautious when unpacking your luggage upon returning home.
Have pest questions?
Our experts are standing by, call now.
Preventing Infestations in the North and East Bay
In addition to the tips mentioned above, there are a few other steps you can take to possibly protect yourself against bed bug problems. On a regular basis, thoroughly clean your home and look for signs of bed bugs. Vacuuming and reducing clutter can help limit hiding spots for bed bugs. In addition, it’s crucial to be wary when using shared laundry facilities or laundromats. Always be careful when using communal machines and transporting items to and from your home. If you live in an apartment building or dorm room, be on the lookout for signs of bed bugs from your neighbors.
Long-term Bed Bug Prevention
You best defense against bed bugs is knowledge! Always be aware of how to protect yourself from a bed bug infestation. Whether you’re traveling, have a college student coming home from school for the holidays, or have a neighbor with a bed bug problem, it’s important to know what you can do to prevent an infestation.