Ant Prevention Tips for Your Home
Most homeowners have dealt with ant problems, especially here in the North Bay and East Bay areas. Most homeowners know, then, that ants are very hard to get rid of without a professional ant exterminator! The best way to avoid the frustration of an infestation is to learn the best ant prevention tips. With the weather warming up, now is the time to ant-proof your home. Ants will be coming out in full force, making it important to learn how to keep them away from your home. The experts at The Hitmen Termite & Pest Control have compiled a list of ant prevention tips to protect your property in the coming months.
What Are Ants Attracted to In Your Home?
Ants are similar to other pests in that they are constantly on the hunt for food and water. They also are attracted to areas with excess moisture. This makes kitchens particularly prone to ant infestations. If you have crumbs on your floors or countertops, any small ant problem you might have can quickly get worse. Additionally, leaky pipes or faucets that create excess moisture will draw ant colonies. Ants typically make their way inside your property through tiny cracks and crevices in the foundation of your home.
Best Ant Prevention Tips
To prevent an ant infestation, it’s important to know how to keep them out in the first place. We’ve compiled a list of ant prevention tips that can help lessen the chance of getting an ant infestation:
- Thoroughly inspect your property for cracks or crevices, and seal any you find with a silicone-based caulk.
- Keep pet foods clean and promptly clean up spills. Always pick up pet bowls up off the floor after meal times.
- Ensure downspouts and gutters are all functioning properly so that water is flowing away from the foundation.
- Check under sinks for excess moisture problems and repair leaky pipes promptly.
- Store food (pet food included) in airtight containers and place ripe fruit in your fridge.
- Dispose of garbage on a regular basis and use trash cans with a tight-fitting lid.
- Make sure to trim trees and shrubbery in your yard to be at least 6 inches away from the home.
- Sweep or vacuum your floors and wipe down surfaces regularly to clean up spills and remove crumbs.
What to Do When You Have Ants
If you’ve implemented as many ant prevention tips as possible and still have an ant problem, it’s best to get help from a professional ant exterminator. At The Hitmen, our team can work with you to get rid of any ants in your property and help you learn how to keep them away for good! Contact us today to learn more.